Sunday, December 1, 2013

Chapter Twenty-nine: A wedding to forget


I couldn't shake my fears of walking down the aisle. It was as if my mind knew something and didn't want to share it with me. It had started around 6 am this morning when I woke up. I chalked it up to a combination of wedding day jitters and the fact that Josh and I's relationship was still a bit rocky. Sadly, as the day progressed I didn't feel any better. 

My mother didn't help much either. She criticized every single thing she could. From my plunging neckline on my wedding dress, our lack of wedding colors and the fact that we were getting married in our backyard. To her it wasn't like a traditional wedding and she hated anything out of the box. 

I simply told her it was our day, and we made the decisions. Her only job was to give Joshua her blessing and watch. 


However, it was no shutting her up. One way or the other she was going to get her point across and I was going to listen. 


When I messed up my eyeliner for the fifth time, I couldn't take it any longer.
"Mama please." I begged. She shot me a disapproving look but surprisingly closed her mouth.
"I just want you to be happy." She said defensively. 
"I know." I replied. And it was true, she cared about my happiness but I wondered if she was forgetting that this was my wedding and not hers. My parents got married in the court house and my mother never got over that. And seeing that I wasn't going all out for my big day was a big let down for her. 

She finally threw in the towel and allowed me to finish getting dressed in peace. She sat on the bed and watched. Upon completion she stood up and gave me a standing ovation. It was way over the top and totally not like her, but I guess it was her way of saying sorry for butting in (again). I smiled and thanked her nevertheless. 


"You look beautiful." She remarked as she joined me again near the mirror. 
"Thank you." I replied. She was beaming from ear to ear and I swear I saw a tear form in her eye.
"As long as you're happy, your father and I are happy." She said. I was caught off guard by her comment. She had never supported my decisions and certainly wasn't happy with them. But maybe she had a change of heart, or maybe she was saying it to make me feel better. Either way, it beat tearing me down.
"That means a lot coming from you." I said honestly. She nodded her head. She gave me a quick peck on the cheek, careful not to stain it with her red lipstick, and then went off to find my dad. 

_________________________________________________________________________________


I looked over to my best man who looked just as nervous as I did. I finished tying my tie to the best of my ability and sighed.
"You're making me nervous." I told him. Matt rubbed the back of his neck and shrugged. 
"Sorry." He apologized. "I just can't believe it. You're really walking down the aisle." He added. 
"I know. I might need you to kick me." I joked. He laughed. 
"Congrats though man. I'm proud of you." He said earnestly. I smiled.
"Thanks." I replied. Through thick and thin, Matt was always in my corner. There were times when he was brutally honest with me and I hated him for it, but I was glad. He told me what I needed to hear not what I wanted to hear. You couldn't ask for a better friend than that and I was forever grateful. 
"I better get down there." I said. Matt nodded.
"I'll join you in a minute." He said. I headed downstairs and bypassed the glare of my mother. She was pissed that I hadn't announced the birth of her first grandchild until she was already here. She was even more upset that I was getting married to Mimi. But she did come to support me. Shockingly, My dad was the silent one this time. 


Matt had made his way down the hall after Joshua descended downstairs. He lightly knocked on the bedroom door before Mimi asked who it was. He replied it was him and she told him to come in. 
"It's not bad luck for the best man to see the bride is it?" She asked jokingly. He shook his head. 
"No I don't think so." He answered. 
"Good." Mimi said. "What is it?" She inquired. She and Matt were not friends and had never really had a conversation. She didn't understand why he would be here now, unless he had bad news. She feared he would tell her Joshua left and she sat on the bed. Matt sensed the fear on her face. 
"It's nothing bad." He reassured her. She let out a bit of air and seemed to relax. 

"I just wanted to say Josh is waiting." He said. 
"I'll be right down then." Mimi replied. She was about to stand and prepare to leave when she notice Matt hesitating to go out the door. 
"Something wrong?" She asked. He sighed before turning to face her. 
"Mimi, Joshua is my best friend, but I feel the need to warn you. Make sure you are doing this for the right reasons." He stated. She looked at him questioningly, but he went on. "Take it from a child who witnessed a bloody divorce between his parents. If it's not for love then don't do it." He finished and practically pleaded. Before she could muster up a response, he ducked out of the door. Mimi stood froze in her spot. Her own nerves and Matt's warning was all that played on her mind. Should she heed it? Did he have a point? Her father entering the room brought her back to reality. 
"Ready sweetie?" Earl asked. She shook off her fears and blinked the tears away and took his awaiting hand. 




My legs almost gave out a few times as I walked closer and closer to the gazebo. My father's arm was always there to keep me stable though. He smiled reassuringly at me as we neared the stopping point. 
"You okay baby girl?" He asked. 
"Yes Daddy." I replied. He kissed my hand before placing it in Joshua's.
"Take care of her." He said to him. His face was friendly, but a small threat stood behind his words. He was a pretty quiet man but he loved Mimi. And he could never sit by and watch anyone cause harm to her. 
"Promise." Joshua replied.






After the ceremony was over and their rings were exchanged. Both sets of parents, Annalese and Matt made their way inside. Joshua and Mimi were about to cut their cake, when he excused himself. He had to use the bathroom but promised to be back before they noticed. He gave Mimi a small kiss before going upstairs. 


Joshua was taking a little longer than necessary and Summer suggested that Mimi go find him. She noted that the upstairs bathroom was empty and walked towards her bedroom when she heard Joshua talking. She assumed it was work related and was about to turn away. Something told her to stay put and listen.

"I'm sorry." Joshua said into the phone.
"I know how it makes you feel."
"Thank you." 
"I'll make it up to you."
"You have my word."
"I have to go, they'll get suspicious soon."
"See you when I can."
"Love you too." And click. 


Mimi froze. The conversation didn't sound out of the ordinary in the beginning. But she didn't have to be a genius to know the end was anything but. Who was he talking to? What were they talking about? Was there another woman? Worse..was it Miranda? Question after question buzzed around in her head. She heard someone coming upstairs and quickly pulled herself together. It was Joshua's mother asking for a diaper for Annalese. She made her way to the nursery to grab her one. She glanced at their bedroom door before it opened. Joshua shot her a smile and apologized for taking so long. He had also changed his clothing she noticed. She didn't want her face to give her away so she looked ahead. 


8 comments:

  1. The biggest fool is Mimi, she is completely ignoring all the warning signs, and I have a very bad feeling that she will regret going through with this sham of a wedding. Shame on her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Mimi did ignore all the warnings. They were screaming at her all day but she didn't want to hear it. She convinced herself that she was doing the right thing for her family. Now with possible knowledge of Joshua's affair she is seriously regretting taking those vows. We will see what she'll do about it eventually though. Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  2. If Mimi was marrying anyone but Joshua I would have been ecstatic for her. I don't know why she went through with the wedding, she should have trusted her instincts instead of chalking it down to wedding jitters. This won't end well, and it makes me sad that she'll be the one left with a broken heart and a baby to look after while
    Josh carries on sowing his seed all over the place. Ugh, guys like Joshua never change, and girls like Mimi wake up when it's too late. Just sadness all around for their future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimi went through with it because she felt like it was the right thing for her and their family together. Summer also played a big role in the decision. Sadly you're right, Mimi will hurt the most out of the two. It will pain Annalese too but not until she grows up and understands what happened. Joshua turned into someone I never envisioned him being. And it kinda saddens me to think about it. He was suppose to be a good guy and now he' the opposite. Mimi and Joshua's future is uncertain. They could try to make it work or split up. Mimi can even try to forget it all happened, but that will be discovered in the final chapter. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. As the wedding was going, I was reminded of something a father-of-the-bride in a recent family wedding said, "Take care of my daughter, or I'll take care of you." (he was quoting someone I can't remember who he said)-- and he didn't really sound like he was kidding. o.o *nervous laughter all around*
    Looks like Mimi's daddy needs to 'take care of' Joshua.
    Cat's out of the bag now. Poor Mimi. And for her to think that it could be Miranda. Oh. That's gotta hurt, especially since she knows she was once the 'other woman'. Like Val said, men like that don't change. :(
    Great update! I love uncomplicated wedding scenes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh oh, that guy better be on his p's and q's then lol. Earl really should have a talking to Joshua if nothing else. Mimi is his baby girl after all. It did hurt because she feels like if it is Miranda then she can't even get mad. And it's almost as if she'd just have to lay down and take it. Aw no hope for Joshua huh? Lol it sure looks like he won't be changing anytime soon though. Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  4. OOOOhhhh scandalous! Now everything in their relationship will be questioned because of how it started. What did Mimi expect?

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the back on Mimi's mind, she always felt guilty for what she did to Miranda. But with a child on the way and Joshua stepping up, she thought maybe they'd have a good chance. However, she was wrong. Thanks for reading :)

    ReplyDelete