Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Chapter Thirteen: Roommates

 Mimi's POV




For some reason I decided to check my newspaper that morning. It sucked, but being unemployed wouldn't allow me to afford a luxury like cable television. And after I scanned the first few pages I wish I hadn't. I was unsure how to feel. I felt numb I guess you could say. As I sat there processing everything I read other feelings began to develop. I felt humiliated. My parents could read this! What would they say? I dreaded the phone call I would receive once they got over their shock. Considering that they hadn't called already made me assume they actually didn't read it, they were too embarrass to accept it or they were disowning my already. After my own pity party I started worrying about Miranda. 
"She doesn't deserve any of this." I said aloud. Her whole career was spent protecting her personal life and because of our mistake, our stupid mistake, she was suffering for this. And to make matters worse I hadn't had the guts to talk to her yet. Did Joshua know? How was this affecting their relationship? It had been 3 or 4 days since I dropped the big news on him, but we hadn't talked since. And I don't blame him, he's probably trying to fix his relationship. 
"Oh why did I have that drink with him? I should have went to my room!" I said as I berated myself. I made up my mind to call Joshua, I needed to talk to him. 

Joshua's POV


I hadn't planned on being back here so soon. The exposure of my affair wasn't good for me. Not that I wanted sympathy, but I didn't expect to lose my job over it. And the hotel I was staying in the past 3 nights was suddenly crowded with paparazzi standing outside. So I decided to leave. I was now standing outside as Matt opened the door to let me in. Although he smiled, I could sense he wasn't happy to see me. 


"I thought you were going home to work things out." He said as if he were asking a question. I guess he hadn't heard the news, hell I wish I hadn't. 
"I don't think that'll be happening." I replied.
"Well why not?" He asked. I gave him the quick run down of events. About my bundle of joy on the way and how Miranda and I ended things for good.
"Damn, how'd she take it?" He asked out of concern. 
"Surprisingly well." I answered. "I couldn't believe it myself but I guess she was tired of all the drama." Matt nodded. 


Suddenly Matt had a serious look on his face. 
"What is it?" I said after reading his face. He sighed.
"Josh you can't stay here." He said. Okay, I was not expecting that. I hadn't even asked yet.
"Is there a reason?" I inquired. He nodded.
"Liz heard about what happened with you and Miranda. Well she's not your biggest fan right now and she said she doesn't want you in your home." He explained with an "I'm sorry look". Liz was his oldest sister, whom he was staying with. I couldn't get mad at him. If he allowed me to stay it would be drama for him and we'd both be homeless. Well I wasn't causing anyone else any pain. 
"I understand." I said at last.
"She's not coming home until tomorrow morning, you could at least crash here over night." He said trying to soften the blow. I shook my head.
"No I'll be fine. I'll stay at a hotel or something." I said.
"You sure?" He said. I nodded. He gave me a small pat on the shoulder before I left and wished me luck. I promised to call him later and walked towards my car. As I sat there I saw a few missed calls on my phone. A few from my mom, I wasn't sure what she wanted. And I had a voice mail from Mimi. I started to ignore it, but I assumed she wanted to know more about the leak. I played the message and found out she wanted to meet me tomorrow. I sent her a text telling her I'd see her tomorrow at the park. 

At the park


Mimi had asked Joshua to meet her so they could discuss things. It was getting dark, but it was the earliest time she could make it. Out of no where she got a call back for a chef position that morning and couldn't turn it down. 


"Hey." Mimi said as she approached him.
"Hey." He replied back. She could see the defeated and tired look on his face and felt guilty again. Maybe this wasn't a good idea she thought.
"How are you holding up?" She asked.


Joshua forced a laugh before he replied.
"Oh just fine you know? Life is going to hell but I'm just fine." He said sarcastically. 
"I'm sorry." Mimi said and furrowed her brows. She knew it was half her fault, but was he seriously trying to dump it all on her?
"No I am. I didn't mean to say that. I've been fucking up a lot lately." He said. She wanted to say she agreed with him out of anger, but suppressed the urge. 
"That makes two of us." She said softly. And this time Joshua let out a real laugh. She gave him a small smile in return. 


Joshua suddenly was on the brink of tears and Mimi couldn't help but to reach out to him.
"You okay?" She asked. He shook his head. He told her everything that had transpired the over the last 3 days. Losing Miranda, his job and about having to sleep in his car last night.
"Oh my god. I'm so sorry Josh." She said. She wanted to give him a hug, but was afraid of the closeness. Instead she rubbed his arm for comfort as he wiped away his tears. She suddenly got an idea. It probably wasn't the smartest move, but it was a solution nonetheless.
"How about you stay with me? I only have the couch to offer but it's better than a car seat. I know it's odd but I don't want to see you like this." She proposed. Joshua's first thought was Is she serious? and then no, but he considered it. She was having his child rather he liked it or not and he didn't want to sleep in the car another night or feel forced to leave another hotel because of the damn paparazzi. 
"We could give it a shot." He replied at last. Mimi was shocked he actually accepted the offer, but glad. It was lonely in the house and it would be good to have someone to keep her company. 
"Let's go home." She said at last, they hopped in their cars and headed to her small home. 

It was a bit awkward once they reached their destination. Joshua headed outside to free his trunk of his belongings. Mimi told him he could sit them in the living room for the time being and went to her room. 


Joshua had came to ask if it was okay for him to take a shower and saw Mimi sobbing. 
"Mimi why are you crying?" He asked. She gasped in between tears, she hadn't expected him to come in her room, especially without knocking. 


Mimi pulled herself together the best she could and slowly sat up. 
"I'm fine" She lied. "It's the hormones or something."
"Mimi you and I both know that's not true." He replied and stepped closer. "Tell me please." He pleaded. 
"Everything is just falling apart. We're both jobless, we've betrayed Miranda in the worst way and everyone knows about it. It's just too much." She said with a tear falling.
"Hey that's no reason to worry. What's done is done and we can't change that okay? Just forgive yourself and move on." He said in an attempt to soothe her.
"How can I?" She asked.
"You have to if not for yourself think of the baby. It's not good to worry yourself like this." He said.


Joshua pulled Mimi up into a hug. He rubbed her back gently and tried to give her some sort of comfort.
"Please Mimi, it'll be okay just calm down." He said softly. Mimi nodded. 
"Could you...stay with me? I don't want to be alone tonight." She asked. It was another dumb move, but she wasn't thinking clearly. Caught off guard, Joshua didn't know what to say, but in the end he agreed. 



4 comments:

  1. Oh boy, just wait till the paparazzi catch wind of the two of them living together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol they're going to have a field day with it. Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  2. I was thinking the same thing. Joshua and Mimi keep makig bad decisions! They may as well really kiss their friendship/etc w Miranda goodbye for good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever relationship she has with them definitely took a big hit and you're right they're latest decisions might just end it for good. We'll see how she'll react or if she reacts at all. Thanks for reading )

      Delete