Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Chapter fifteen: Digging

Gina's POV





I had been on edge ever since my phone calls were being rejected. Every time I tried to reach the TV studio, I got some lame excuse as to why my call couldn't be put through. It was bull. They'd gotten what they wanted and now refused to hold up their end of the bargain. I had put myself out there on the line by betraying my family and for what? Nothing?! I don't think so. As I was headed to go outside for a stress smoke, the house phone rung. I started to ignore it, but for some reason I didn't.

"Hello?" I answered.
"Yes, this is her."
"Oh she did?" My heart sunk. My brilliant plan wasn't so brilliant after all. I figured by keeping my identity a secret and then being announced was bullet proof. But of course I should have known Miranda's people would have a way around that. The producer's secretary had finally returned my phone call. But instead of them telling my they would be flying me out to Starlight Shores, they were telling me I was no longer needed. The woman on the other end started to apologize on behalf of the studio's abrupt decision.
"No I totally understand." I assured her. She apologized once more before telling me goodbye and hanging up. I stared into the phone, stunned.

"I can not believe this." I spoke out loud. My dreams were crashing before I really got my shot. Sure I was trying to gain off of someone's misery, but it wasn't a lie! Everything I leaked was the truth and it also taught her a lesson. If you're in the spot light, then it's foolish to think you can live without something slipping.

Just as I was about to put the phone on the receiver, I dialed my best friend, Ria's, number. She answered just before the second ring.

"Hey. Get over here now." I barked. She started to protest but quickly agreed. Less than ten minutes and she was on my sofa.


"Sorry." I said when she sat down. She raised her brows up at me. "For the attitude over the phone, I just really needed to vent." She shrugged off my apology and asked what was wrong.


"Well you know how I was suppose to fly out to Starlight Shores?" She nodded. "Well I can forget that." She gasped.
"What why?" Ria asked.
"Miranda that's why. That bitch shut the whole thing down." I spit out bitterly. Now I didn't have anything against her, but if she just let my plan happen, her reputation would have been okay sooner or later and I could be clubbing with the stars now.
"How did she do that?" Ria asked again. I told her about the interview she had done and how the studio was done with me because of it.


I watched Ria look off for a minute as if she was in deep thought.
"Well maybe that wasn't a bad thing." She said at last. I couldn't believe her. She was all for this plan when I promised to bring her with me.
"What?!" I exclaimed.
"This doesn't mean your plans are spoiled exactly, it just means you have to think of something better." She explained. I still wasn't sure where she was going with all of this.
"Go on" I urged. She sighed.
"I'm saying get more dirt. And real dirt, shit she really wants to hide. A person like that has a ton of secrets. She barely has a wiki page." She elaborated. A light bulb went off suddenly.



"Ria I love you! You're a friggin' genius girl!" I screamed. She touched her heart as if I really said something sentimental. I laughed. But wait, this plan wasn't complete yet.
"Wait before you wipe away a tear. We still have a problem, How do I get this dirt exactly?" I asked.
"Gina, do you think? It's what you should have done in the beginning really. It's time you pay your favorite cousin a trip." Ria said. I smiled again. This is why she was my best friend. Before we could celebrate, my mom had walked in.


We jumped up like kids that were caught with their hands in the cookie jar. My mom picked up a book and was headed towards the sofa. I glanced over at her to make sure she wasn't looking.
"Shh." I whispered. "I'll talk to you later." I said. Ria nodded. She told my mother goodbye and let herself out.


I felt as though this was the perfect time to tell my mother sorry. I had let my anger get the best of me the other day and it wasn't fair to her.
"Ma" I said and took a few steps towards her.
"Hmm?" She said and turned the page of her book. I cleared my throat a bit.
"About the other day. I didn't mean to put my hands on you like that or disrespect you. I was way out of line." I said genuinely.
"Oh don't worry about that." She said without looking up.
"Seriously Ma' I am really sorry." I said. I wished she'd at least look up at me. She sighed deeply. I thought she was going to close her book, but she didn't.
"Gina baby, I know you're sorry. You don't need to keep saying it." She said. I still stood there, hoping she'd say more. She must have felt me staring. "I forgive you." She said those three magic words. I felt relived. I was no saint, but I took no joy in disrespecting my mom. She raised me better than that.
"Thank you Ma'" I said and pecked her on the cheek. She just said "mhm" and kept on reading. I wondered off into the garage, I mean my "bedroom" and slept. Tomorrow I was embarking on a journey that would hopefully change our lives for the better.


The next morning


I woke up the next day ready to go. I didn't bother to even change my clothes after I took a shower. I got a whiff of my clothes as I fixed my bed.
"I smell fine." I said and shrugged my shoulders. My taxi was arriving any minute and I still hadn't told Ma I was leaving. So I'd have to do some quick explaining.


Ma wasn't buying my story completely.
"Why can't you just call?"She asked for the 100th time. I had told her I missed Joshua and wanted to catch up. The fact that she knew I'd leaked the information probably didn't help either.
"I don't think now is a good time Gina." She said as a last attempt to sway me. I shook my head.
"Ma he doesn't know it was me who did that." I said.
"And he won't be happy when he finds out." She said. I shook my head.
"He won't Ma." I said. I hoped he didn't anyways. "You won't tell him right?" I asked suddenly feeling scared.
"I wouldn't do that." Ma assured me. I could see my taxi approaching and told Ma I had to go. She reluctantly dropped the subject and told me to be safe.




I gave Ma a quick hugged and threw my small bag next to me as I slide in the backseat of the taxi.
"Where to?" The driver inquired.
"Riverview Airport." I replied as I watched Ma go back into the house.


Starlight Shores



The flight had been pretty quick. Upon arrival I found the cheapest hotel and called it a night. The next day I purchased a pre-paid cell phone and called a taxi. I asked him to take me to the closest restaurant. He dropped me off at some place that looked like an ice cream shop and a old school diner had a baby and it was the product. I expected a nicer restaurant from a place that was home to celebrities. I slipped him the fare and exited the taxi.


I had gotten Joshua's number from Ma last night. I slowly dialed the numbers and hoped he would answer. The phone rung and I held my breath.
"Please answer unknown phone calls." I prayed. And he didn't.
"Damn it." I said a little too loudly. I got a not so approving glance from an elderly woman a short distance from me. I rolled my eyes and re-dialed his number.


Almost six calls later and he finally picks up.
"Hello?" I hear him ask.
"Josh! It's me, Gina." I say.
"Gina? as in my cousin Gina?" He asks.
"Who else?! Of course it's me." I yell. I don't hear anything for a second.
"Guess what." I say.
"What?" He replies.
"You didn't guess." I whine. I hear cars passing on the other end. Is he outside?
"Joshua. I'm here." I finish.
"Here? Where?" He inquires.
"Starlight Shores. Now meet me at this little ice cream shop and give your little cousin a proper tour of the town." I speak into the phone. I hang up before he could protest.
Maybe that wasn't smart. I think. How will I know he's actually coming?






I have no idea how much time has passed since I hung up. I forgot about my phone already so I didn't bother to check it or to call him again. Feeling agitated, I get an idea to walk inside the restaurant and ask what time it is. Right before I get up, I hear approaching footsteps. I thought nothing of it at first, but they got closer. I turn my head slightly and catch a glimpse of my shirtless cousin jogging my way. Ew, don't men here wear shirts? I think to myself in disgust. Well he should anyways. 

"Gina" He calls out as he spots me. I get up to give him a hug. I regret it once some of his sweat transfers onto me. He mumbles an apology.


"So what are you doing here?" He asks. No nice to see you? how you been? Just like a man to jump straight to the point.  I think, but keep it to myself.
"Well I didn't know it as a crime to visit family." I reply as if i'm hurt.
"Sorry. I just mean, it's out of the blue." He explained.
"Well it was a surprise." I respond.
"Where's Aunt Franny?" He asks. Who? Shit, I didn't think he'd ask about Ma.
"Uh she stayed home. Doctor's say she shouldn't travel." I say quickly. His face shifts to concern.
"Why not? Is she okay?" He asks. I think for a moment.
"She has heart problems, you know that." I explain.
"Yeah, but it's not like she'd be flying across the world." He shot out.
"Look she just needs to stay home okay?" I snap and hope he drops it. He raises a brow, but doesn't say anything.


Joshua changes subjects.
"How long are you staying?" He questions.
"Not long. I just wanted to see you." I say.
"You could have skyped me." He said. His words mimicking my mother's. I nod. His phone begins to ring in his pocket. I am thankful for the distraction. He looks as if he wants to ignore it, but I assure him it's okay. He reaches into his pocket and pulls his phone out and slides it to accept.


I sit down to give him a sense of privacy, but close enough so I can overhear.
"Yeah?"
"Right now?"
"Oh..well.." He glances at me.
"I'm busy right now. My cousin is visiting."
"I know Mimi, but I haven't seen her in forever." Mimi? My ears perk up. Now I wish I could hear what she was saying.
"I promise I'll make it to the next one." He says and clicks his phone off.


I start to ask what was that about, but I get a better idea, a smarter idea.
"Josh my phone is dead, mind if I borrow yours?" I ask hoping he'll say yes. He shrugs.
"Sure, I'll be right back." He says and hands it over. That was easier than I'd imagined.


He walks off and says he has to use the bathroom. Not knowing how much time I had, I quickly make my way away from the table. I think of re-dialing Mimi's number, but that'd be a dead giveaway. I opt for texting her.

Hey sorry about that, my cousin was bugging. Where are you? 


Driving myself to the hospital. You know I shouldn't even be texting. Did you change your mind?


No. I can't leave right now, sorry. Drive safe though


Josh. I'm nervous I really wish you were coming. It's your baby too.  


Baby?! I want to scream out loud. Jackpot I think. 


I know, i'll make it up to you okay? Gotta go.

"Wow" I say and breathe out.


I delete the texts just in time. Joshua returns and I hand him his phone.


"So where to first?" I ask nervously. He didn't see me right? I think.
"What?" He asks and shoves his phone back into his pocket. "What do you mean?"
"I was serious about that tour." I say and laugh.
"Oh" He laughs too. "Okay we can do that. Let me go home and change and then I'll meet you at the theater?" He finishes in a question sort of way.
"Hello I'm not from here." I say.
"Right. I'll text you the directions ok?" He replies. I nod.



*Sorry for the ending, it seems so unfinished.

6 comments:

  1. Gina is a real troublemaker, and now she knows about the baby. For some reason, I thought she already knew.

    That was funny how she reacted to Josh without a shirt. I sure didn't mind! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gina wants fame at any cost and doesn't mind throwing someone under the bus to get it sadly. Ideally, she would have known but Joshua hasn't really talked about his personal life with his family since the affair. He still doesn't know who the leak was (even when she's staring him right in the face lol). Lol I wanted Gina to over-react since they are related. I was thinking maybe I went over-board with the muscular slider on Joshua. Maybe it was just me though, glad you liked it :) And as always thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Gina go away! Go away Gina! Ugh, I hope on her way back to wherever she gets hit by a bus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol not a Gina fan I see. I don't blame you. What she did was really low, especially with Joshua and her being related. Things aren't set it stone yet, Gina might surprise you. Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  3. I thought the ending was fine. Sometime I worry about my ending if it doesn't seem "finished" or wrapped up, but I think it's ok to finish on a cliffhanger or right before the next plot point happens. In any case, great chapter. Gina is off the hook though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) and Yes she is. She was really fame hungry at the time and didn't care who she had to hurt.

      Delete