Saturday, April 20, 2013

Chapter One: Forgotten Memories

Two years ago Miranda was signing the lease to rent her first home. Two years ago Miranda was just starting out performing for tips, auditioning for gigs and being turned down by the proprietors. It seemed like just yesterday she had met Mimi on the beach after she performed for the very first time. And only yesterday that Mithun had stolen her heart and broken it seemingly at the same time.But it wasn't yesterday, today was today. Miranda had finally accomplished her dreams of being a legendary singer. And she met a man who loved her and cared for her genuinely.
In fact they were engaged and today they were sitting down to discuss wedding plans. 
 
Joshua: "I think I finally have my list ready."
Miranda: "You mean the guest list? already?"
Miranda had totally forgot, actually she hadn't even thought about it yet. Everything had been so busy lately with the meetings with her agent, interviews and her steady gigs. 
Miranda: "Well how many from your side are you inviting?"
Joshua began counting on his hands..
Joshua: "Well let's see Mom, Dad, My Aunt Rose.."
Miranda had tuned him out, not purposefully, but she was thinking who'd she invite. 
Then it hit her she had no one to invite. Growing up it had only been her and her mom but she had passed away when she was only 12. She swallowed back a lump from forming in her throat and began to speak.
Miranda: "Actually honey I can't talk about this now. I just remembered I have to call my agent to discuss an upcoming tour" She fibbed. Joshua shut up and frowned. 
Joshua: "You hadn't mentioned this before and you've been so busy we haven't had time to discuss anything." He said.
Miranda: "Well it hasn't been that long."
Joshua: "Miranda It's been almost 5 months since I proposed I know we're not getting married over night, but I'd like to discuss it." 
Five months?! Had it been that long already..It seemed like he'd just proposed. Her mind drifted back to that  night.
 
 
Miranda:" Joshua I'm really sorry I didn't realize it had been so long,  promise we'll talk about it later" She said still trying to avoid the topic of her mother. He nodded and headed upstairs and she watched to make sure he was leaving.
As he ascended upstairs, Miranda walked towards the kitchen and picked up her phone. Who was she calling anything? She let her fingers move her and she just watched the numbers as the came up on the screen. Mimi was sleeping peacefully until she heard her phone vibrating beside her. She slowly got up and put the phone to her ear.

Mimi: "I hope this is important" She said not caring who was on the other line.
Miranda: "Sorry to interrupt you.."
Mimi: "Oh Miranda it's fine. I didn't know it was you. How are you?" She said.
Miranda: "I'm fine I just missed you." 
Mimi: "I've only been gone for a day" she laughed. Mimi had been visiting her boyfriend over the weekend. 
Miranda nodded as if she could see her, she was really a bad liar.
Miranda: "I know but we haven't talked much, even when you're home."
Mimi: "Well I guess we'e both been busy huh?" 
Miranda: "Yes I suppose so, hey I think Josh is calling me we'll talk when you get back home okay?"

Mimi frowned, Miranda was acting really strange. Nonetheless she said goodbye and returned back to bed.
Today had not gone as Miranda thought it might. She decided she needed to clear her head so she put on her work-out clothes and jogged to the beach. 

It felt good to be out of the house. It felt good to run and feel her feet hit the pavement. "What is wrong with me?" Miranda thought to herself. "Why are you lying to the two most important people in your life?" She thought once more and shook her head at herself.
"Such a coward." She thought aloud. 
Meanwhile back at home, Mimi decided to come home early. She hadn't been able to go back to sleep and so she dressed and left. Once home she saw Joshua downstairs and went to speak with him.
Mimi: "Hey Josh is Miranda upstairs?" She asked.
He shook his head.
Joshua: "No I believe she just left."
Mimi: "Hmm, that's strange I just talked to her." She said.
Joshua: "Well I'm sure she'll be back." He replied.
Mimi: "Has she been acting funny lately?, I didn't notice until she called me." Mimi inquired.
Joshua: "No not until we were talking about our wedding plans, she got quiet when I started talking about the guests but not sure why." He said honestly.
Joshua: "Does she have someone she doesn't want me to know about or something?" He asked, concerned.
Mimi: "No I'm sure that's not it. She doesn't have much family, actually she doesn't have any." Mimi said and suddenly realized what might have happened.
Mimi: "That's it! Her mom was all she had and she passed away a while ago." 
Joshua: "That's why she looked so sad. She never told me." He said.
Mimi: "She doesn't like to talk about it she wouldn't have told me if I didn't catch her bawling her eyes out one day."
The two pondered on how to get Miranda to open up about this. 
Back at the beach, Miranda had changed into her swimwear and was watching the waves come in.
As Miranda watched the waves come ashore she decided she couldn't hide the truth anymore. She'd tell Joshua everything and get it off her chest once and for all. How could she spend the rest of life with him if she couldn't talk about her mother? 

4 comments:

  1. Aw, it's such a sad time for her. She should be excited about her wedding, but I understand why she's not, she's got no one to share her happy day with. It must have been very hard for her to lose her mom at such a young age. I'm glad she's decided to tell Josh everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad she confided in him too, thanks for reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! She doesn't need to put it off like that! I bet he has no idea why she's brushing that conversation aside. If only she'd talk to him about her sadness.

    Okay, good. She's going to tell him. I'm really surprised she's gotten away with hiding it all this time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah it wasn't a good idea for her to avoid it for too long, yet sometimes that's just how Miranda handles things sometimes. Thanks for reading :)

    ReplyDelete