Sunday, October 27, 2013

Chapter Twenty-four: Dilemma

Mimi's POV 

I couldn't believe my eyes as I watched the exchange between Miranda and Joshua. I couldn't hear what they were saying, but I could read their body language loud and clear. Miranda's back was turned to me, but she kept trying to go around Joshua. She wanted to leave and have nothing to do with him. But Josh on the other hand, wouldn't let her.
What is he doing? I thought. He looked up at me and could see that I was witnessing all of this. He looked shocked and as if he was busted.
Why does he look so guilty? I thought. I needed to know what was going on. I started to head outside, but he finally let her go. The look on his face said he dreaded entering the house. My heart began to beat rapidly as I walked around to meet him. I didn't want to fight with him, but I couldn't let this go. No, confrontation was coming and it was no doubt about it.



I made my way around the dinning room table just in time to prevent him from ascending upstairs. The joy in his eyes was gone. Instead he looked defeated, as if he had just lose something he loved all over again. He just stood in front of me as I tried to will myself to speak.
"Josh?" I said in a shaking voice. His eyes looked up at me. He didn't speak, but the gesture said he was listening. I let out a breath of air, hoping the shakiness would go with it.
"What happened out there?" I asked and tilted my head to the right. His eyes followed the direction and he then shrugged.
"Nothing." He replied. I crossed my arms over my chest. I hope that my appearance showed that I was standing my ground, or trying to.
"Josh we both know that is a lie. What happened?" I repeated.
"Mimi I said nothing happened, I was only catching up with her." He answered.
"No Josh, that wasn't catching up. It was way more than that!" I shouted. I could feel my anger building up. My heart rate increased to match it, but I didn't care.
"Mimi calm down." Joshua said and tried to reach out to me. I pushed his arms away. I wanted to slap him, punch him, I wanted him to feel how he just hurt me.


Joshua's face suddenly looked very pissed off. Like a parent dealing with a disobedient child. He inched closer to me with a stern look upon his face. The next thing I knew was, he grabbed my left arm to block my assault and his left hand was balled up tightly in a fist. My anger instantly vanished and was replaced with absolute terror.
"I wasn't asking you Mimi. I said calm the fuck down, now!" He shouted through clenched teeth. I nodded my head as tears began to form in my eyes.
"If I said it was nothing why can't you believe me?!" He continued.
"I'm with you damn it! So let go of the jealously or insecurities. I will not have this conversation with you again." He screamed. Again, all I could do was nod.

His face began to soften and he looked remorseful. Regret spread all over his face. And like that, Dr. Jekyll was gone and Joshua had returned.


"Crap, Mimi I didn't mean to yell. I'm sorry." He began apologizing. I brought my hand to my mouth to silence the gasping tears that wanted to escape. I had never been so scared in my entire life. I really thought he'd hit me. And what about the baby? How could I have protected her?
"Mimi I just lost it for a second. I wouldn't have done anything. You know that right?" He asked. He genuinely sounded sorry. I remained silent. He pulled me into his embrace gently. He rubbed my back and tried to console me.
"Calm down, please. Don't be upset." He cooed. My body shook as the tears kept spilling out. His anger didn't return, but it didn't matter. I was still afraid.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Miranda's POV 


I was waiting in the parking lot of the Record Label's building. Finally, I shut off my car and exited it.


I spotted Diana, the secretary, behind the desk. She greeted me warmly. She was a nice woman who had been working there for about a year now. I returned her hello.
"Is Wayne waiting on me?" I asked referring to the record executive and the CEO of the label. Diana nodded.
"Yes, and heads up, he's not alone." Diana replied.
Not alone? I thought. Who else would be in there? I wondered. I thanked her for her tip before heading into the meeting room.


Diana was right. Wayne certainly wasn't alone. I glanced over at the woman sitting near him. I had no idea who she was. Wayne got up to give me a quick hug and returned to his seat. I tried to extend my hand to the woman, but she didn't accept. I masked my annoyance and took my seat. Wayne explained that she didn't shake hands, she was OCD or something.


"You look well." Wayne commented. I hadn't seen him since before my "vacation". He had arranged for me to come back, but he was on vacation himself. During my time back I was in the studio with Jaq' and T working on a new album.
"Thank you. I'm in a much better head space now." I replied.
"Good Good. This is Janet by the way, Janet Morrison. She will be joining the label." He explained. Joining? Wasn't she a little too old to start a career in singing? Was my first thought, but I kept that to myself.
"She will be helping us out here, helping artist like yourself." He finished.


"Helping?" I asked. He needed to elaborate.
"Yes, helping. She'll be giving you guys tips to stay on top. You know, so you can keep up with up and coming competition." He answered. His answer did nothing for my confusion. I still was lost.


"I'll be helping some more than others." The woman spoke. I could tell she was directing that at me.
"Miranda dear, let's face it. You're falling."
"Excuse me?" I interrupted.
"I said you are falling. Sure your music is still popular with the younger crowd, but what about people your own age? It's not doing so well. You need to change my dear if you want to keep your spot in this industry." Janet said harshly. I could tell she wasn't one to sugar coat things, and I think this was her way of going easy on me. Before I could get a word out, she continued.
"Believe it or not, that break up was the best thing that could have happen to you. You gained sympathy fans. But that will only be short lived." She said.

"How could you say something like that?" I said at last. I didn't know this woman from gum on the street and here she was critiquing my life. What gave her the right?
"She has a point Miranda." Wayne interjected. "Miranda times are changing and what worked for you two years ago, is getting old." He said. I couldn't believe what I was hearing, but I said nothing.


"Your music has to change, you looks need an upgrade, and your approach to the paparazzi needs to change as well. You keep preaching the same message, all of this inspirational mumbo jumbo, but that's what gospel music is for. You are suppose to be a mix between Pop and R&B so act like it. Sing about love, heart-ache, pain; things people can related to." Janet said.

"I'm sorry, but I'm trying to be a role model here. Young people need that. They don't need to hear me singing about pain and money and drugs. I'll leave that to other people. No, I'm proud of what I do." I defended. This woman was not about to make me the next Rihanna or Nicki Minaj, it's enough wannabe's out there as it is.

"I wasn't asking your opinion. I am telling you what you will do if you want to work with this label." Janet stated.


Forget this. I couldn't hold my tongue back any longer.
"And just who might you be? What gives you the right to tell me anything?!" I shouted.
"I am the one who controls your fate here. You will do as I say or you can leave. And if you do, I will have you black listed in this industry so fast, you wouldn't even have time to blink." She answered smugly. I wanted to smack that smug look right off her face, but Wayne was looking at me in a way that said I better not try anything. I remained quiet.


"Thought so. You have a meeting with me and your new stylist tomorrow at 3 p.m. Don't be late." She said. I said nothing as I stood to leave. I knew I wasn't going to stand for this, but I was done giving that woman the time of day.
"It would be wise of you to arrive early." She shouted as I touched the doorknob.


Diana bid me good-bye as I left the meeting room.
"Bye Diana." I replied. It was no reason for me to take my anger out on her.

6 comments:

  1. Time to find a new label! That bitch needs to be put in her place. Miranda got where she is by doing what she wanted to do, and THAT gave her her success, not acting like a wannabe just like she said.
    Ugh! This reminds me of how sick I am that so many artists out there start off good and then go to shit in a basket once success really hits them. Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus to name two of em. ... sending a clear message to youngsters out there that the only way to get what you want is to act like a skanky ho which ain't true!
    *takes deep breath*
    Yeah, Miranda needs to go behind that bitch's back and find another label... or go independent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol don't even get me started on Miley Cyrus, I mean talk about a 360! You're right, that's exactly what Miranda took pride in, knowing she was inspiring young people and giving them a person to look up to. She never wants to sell out and she never wants her fans to get the wrong idea. Janet is really challenging her here and she is undecided right now. On one hand her label has been like a family to her, allowing her to take a break and get herself together and supporting her and now they are acting totally different by bringing Janet into the mix. So she has to decide rather to give Janet's idea a shot, challenge Janet back by leaving or starting from scratch on her own. No matter what she does, it's gonna be hard for her. Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
    2. I realize I forgot to comment on Joshua and Mimi's scene. That startled me that he got that angry. He didn't seem the type.

      Delete
    3. Joshua is becoming a lot of things I didn't originally have planned for him. He is more angry with himself than Mimi, but seeing Miranda in person stirred up a lot of feelings he was trying to bury. His anger is building up because he thought he was over it and ready to move on with Mimi so they could be a real family but he realizes that he was just trying to do the right then. He does care for Mimi though and he will still be there for his family, but he knows his heart just isn't there with her. So yeah he felt like she was just reminding of him of what he wants to forget and he blew up. But he was very wrong in doing so.

      Delete
  2. Wow, Joshua going all aggro on Mimi was scary. I can see why she was afraid. I really hope this was a once off occurrence, but since we've just seen how unpredictable Josh is, I can't help but worry for Mimi.

    Oh Janet! It's not right the way she handled that whole thing, but I can understand, it's business and if Mimi wants to stick with her own type of music maybe it's time she looked for another record label that shares her vision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it was scary. Joshua has a temper, it was seen once before when Miranda was giving him the cold shoulder and when Mimi told him she was pregnant, but never like this. He is usually better at controlling it, but I guess he just blew up. Joshua knows that he really frightened her and doesn't want to see Mimi like that again. So he'll do a a better job at keeping his temper in check from now on. Janet is a bitch, but the label feels like they need her help so they aren't looking out for Miranda right now. You're right if she wants more control then she may need to look elsewhere, but you'll see what she decides soon :) Thanks for reading!

      Delete